Considering joining? Here’s some advice!
- Learn about what AmeriCorps service means beforehand so you aren’t surprised.
- Be proactive! It’s a self-starter job.
- Be yourself! Students can tell if you’re being fake.
- Use your strengths,
- Self-care – if you need a break, take it.
- Develop on your weaknesses.
- Don’t take it personally.
- Think of the bigger picture and why you’re serving.
- Have goals.
- Make sure you’re checking in on yourself and ensuring you’re growing as a professional.
- Reflect on your days in service
- It takes time! But you will get a rhythm down.
For your Students:
- Listen to your students. You’re not only here to help, you’re here to learn.
- Keep trying with your students and be patient. Don’t worry, they’ll come around to you.
- Set high expectations for them.
- Set boundaries.
For your team:
- Introduce your team to them as a whole grade/school.
- Be open and honest with your team. You’re going to spend a lot of time with them. Convey to them what kind of person you are and how you work on a team. But, also be prepared to step outside of your comfort zone.
- Share best practices with your teammates.
- Take team bonding seriously.
- Meet with your team weekly.
- Communicate about anything going on – interactions with administration, planning events, students you’ve met with. Keep everyone in the loop.
- Check in with your team – be willing to share where you are and support your teammates where they are.
For teachers/staff at your school:
- Get to know as many people as possible as soon as possible, and let them know you’re there to help.
- Learn how the school runs and talk to administration early on to understand procedures for attending classes, planning events, having students in the Promise Corps room, and follow them!
- Communicate from the start and be flexible.
- Communicate with teachers about their expectations for you in the classroom.
For Promise Corps as a whole:
- Data matters, but the don’t forget it’s the connection to the students that you will be remembered by.
- Use all of Promise Corps for networking and professional development opportunities.
- Intentionally connect with other teams at professional development.
- Get extra hours early on!