AmeriCorps College and Career Coaches will start November 1, 2021 – January 3, 2022 and serve until June 14, 2022 committing to 14 hours of coaching each week supporting at a Philadelphia High School during that term. Coaches work closely with high school students and families to ensure that students graduate with strong skill sets, and develop awareness of paths and challenges related to postsecondary opportunities.
The Promise Corps members will work with students in grades 10-12, who have been identified as needing support. Each member will be assigned a host school and will work with guidance counselors, teachers and other school personnel to develop long and short-term plans leading to postsecondary entry. CCC AmeriCorps members will conduct individual advising sessions with students and develop a plan that will lead to the students desired postsecondary option.
- $450 Bi-Weekly Pay (stipend of approx. $16/hour pre-tax)
- Health care support
- Free monthly transpass to travel in and around Philadelphia at any time
- Eligible for student loan forbearance on federal student loans
- Successful Completion Members are eligible for an education award of approximately $1,600 to be used for college, trade school, or other educational expenses, including qualified federal loans. For more information, please visit www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps.
- Monthly professional development trainings & connection to professional mentors
Post-Secondary Planning and Support
- Provide engaging small group workshops and 1:1 sessions to improve students’ knowledge of post-secondary options and requirements
- Will support a caseload of students to ensure each is working towards goal setting and achievement towards their post-secondary plan
- Create programming in areas such as post-secondary education options, college application process, financial aid, and career exploration
- Maintain student information and records by tracking, logging and entering workshop/1:1 hours / time spent with students in database
- Develop field trips and events that include college field trips, providing financial aid application assistance and career exposure opportunities.
- Provide 1:1/small group academic and homework support sessions for students under direction and guidance of teachers
- Members will coach students around short and long-term academic goals by reviewing alongside students’ transcripts and report cards
- Work closely with partner teacher(s) and other school staff to identify the right supports for individual students
- Participate in school trainings and meetings
Education, Experience and Eligibility
- Be at least 17 years of age, have a high school diploma, and possess US Citizenship or Permanent Resident status
- Minimum completion of 6 college credits (current students are eligible!)
- Provide proof of Covid-19 vaccination
- Clear a National Criminal History Check, Pennsylvania Criminal History Check, Criminal History Check in your current state of residence (if different than Pennsylvania), and National Sex Offender Registry check
- Served less than 4 terms of any length in another AmeriCorps State or National Program
- Commit to serving in school a minimum of 14 hours per week
QUESTIONS? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please click on the following link for the AmeriCorps Member application: PROMISE CORPS APPLICATION
If you are being considered for this position we will reach out via email with a screening form to complete prior to scheduling an in person interview. In the case that Promise Corps will be conducting virtual programming, or if applicants live out of state, interviews will be via Zoom or Microsoft Teams.