TITLE: AmeriCorps Member
ROLE: College & Career Ambassador
PROGRAM: Promise Corps
REPORTS TO: Promise Corps Site Supervisor
AmeriCorps is a 10-month service commitment that meets a community’s critical needs in education, public safety, health, and the environment. In this role, members will fulfill a full-time service opportunity in our schools across Philadelphia. Supporting communities’ critical needs in education, Promise Corps members dedicate 1700 hours of volunteer service per term in exchange for leadership, career development, and a living stipend provided by our AmeriCorps grant. AmeriCorps is an exciting opportunity for service-minded individuals who are passionate about education and the nonprofit sector. For more information, please visit www.americorps.gov
The College and Career Ambassador will serve full time (completing 1700 hours of service) over the course of 10 months, working closely with high school students and families to ensure that students graduate with strong skill sets, and develop awareness of paths and challenges related to postsecondary opportunities.
The Promise Corps members will work with students in grades 10-12, who have been identified as needing support. Each member will be assigned a host school and will work with guidance counselors, teachers and other school personnel to develop long and short term plans leading to postsecondary entry. Services begin with five introductory workshops for a baseline understanding of postsecondary options. CCA AmeriCorps members will conduct individual advising sessions with students and develop a plan that will lead to one of the five postsecondary options.
Post-Secondary Planning and Support
- Provide engaging small group workshops and 1:1 sessions to improve students’ knowledge of post-secondary options and requirements
- Will work with up to 40 students to ensure each has an Individual Service Plan
- Create programming in areas such as post-secondary education options, Four Systems of Higher Education, college application process, financial aid, and career exploration
- Work with school staff and teachers to implement the Individual Service Plan model and workshop series.
- Facilitate interest assessments to identify student interests and post-secondary options
- Maintain student information and records by tracking, logging and entering workshop/1:1 hours / time spent with students in database
- Develop field trips and events that include college field trips, providing financial aid application assistance and a graduation ceremony.
- Design, coordinate, and implement parent workshops at target school sites
- Provide tutoring and homework support under direction of teachers with a focus on STEM.
- Members will coach students around short and long-term academic goals by reviewing alongside students transcripts and report cards
- Work closely with partner teacher(s) and other school staff to identify the right supports for individual students
- Participate in school trainings and meetings
Other duties including but not limited to:
- Service project development
- Coordination of college and other campus visits for students
- Participation in member development (included but not limited to trainings, professional development, workshops)
- Complete 1700 national service hours over 10 months
- Attend a “Swearing in” and “Graduation” Ceremony
- Maintain a commitment to understanding the Promise Corps program model, and current educational best practices
- Be at least 17 years of age, have a high school diploma, and possess US Citizenship or Permanent Resident status
- Have a college degree – associates or above
- Pass Tuberculosis Skin Test
- Clear a National Criminal History Check, California Criminal History Check, Criminal History Check in your current state of residence (if different than California), and National Sex Offender Registry check
- Served less than 4 terms of any length in another AmeriCorps State or National Program
- AmeriCorps, Peace Corps or other national service experience
- Have experience volunteering with other community based or education programs
- Commitment to YPI / Promise Corps mission and vision
- Interest in working with school-age children and teens
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to manage tasks and schedule independently
- Demonstrated success with constituent relations skills (volunteers, teachers, parents)
- Flexibility and adaptability to manage tasks in a fluid and ambiguous environment
- Access to reliable transportation (public transportation or personal transport) to travel within a defined geographic region
- Experience working with diverse communities
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with school personnel, after school personnel, program officers, evaluators, parents, students and community professionals
- Ability to coordinate programming in areas such as post-secondary education options, financial aid, career exploration through workshops, events, individual and small group counseling and classroom presentation
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) is a plus
- CPR/First Aid certification is a plus
This position is part of the AmeriCorps service program. As an AmeriCorps member, you will serve your community through YPI’s Promise Corps and receive a modest, living allowance of at least $12,000 for serving a full term of service, as well as health benefits and personal days. Childcare assistance is available through AmeriCorps for those who qualify. Members may be eligible for student loan forbearance on federal student loans.
Additionally, at the successful completion of your service term, AmeriCorps Members are eligible for an education award of approximately $5,920 to be used for college, trade school, or other educational expenses, including qualified federal loans. For more information, please visit www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps.
Monday through Friday 7:30am – 4:30pm. Additional evening and weekend hours as needed for events, school activities and additional service days and projects. Our calendar follows the Philadelphia School District calendar, beginning in August and ending in June.
Please click on the following link for the AmeriCorps Member application: PROMISE CORPS APPLICATION
If you are being considered for this position we will reach out via email with a screening form to complete prior to scheduling an in person interview. Interviewing via skype is offered to any out of state applicants.