Promise Corps is hiring full-time and part-time College and Career Coaches for the 2022-2023 school year!
Applications are open until May 31, 2022, with interviews scheduled virtually quickly following applications of qualified candidates.
Who should consider applying:
- College Senior or Recently graduated college students
- Part-time Graduate students
- Candidates with genuine interest working with high school students
- Serving a Full-Time term (1200 hrs) you will receive a stipend of at least $18,000
- Serving a Part-Time term (675 hrs) you will receive a stipend of at least $11,000
- Childcare assistance is available through AmeriCorps for those who qualify.
- Members may be eligible for student loan forbearance on federal student loans.
- At the successful completion of your term, AmeriCorps Members are eligible for an education award of approximately $4,500 (full-time term) or $2,400 (part-time term) to be used for college, trade school, or other educational expenses, including qualified federal loans. For more information, please visit www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps.
- Free Monthly Transpass to travel on all public transportation in Philadelphia throughout your term.
AmeriCorps, a federal agency, brings people together to tackle the country’s most pressing challenges through national service and volunteering. AmeriCorps members and AmeriCorps Seniors volunteers serve with organizations dedicated to the improvement of communities – in this case – the Office of Community Empowerment and Opportunity at the City of Philadelphia. For more information, please visit www.americorps.gov
Full and Part-time AmeriCorps College and Career Coaches (CCCs) with Promise Corps work with high school students and families to ensure that students graduate on time with a post-secondary plan they have already begun setting and achieving goals towards.
CCC’s work with students in grades 11-12, who have been identified as needing support with post-secondary planning. Each coach will be assigned a host school and will work with guidance counselors, teachers, and other school personnel to develop long and short-term plans leading to postsecondary entry for students they coach. CCC AmeriCorps members will conduct individual advising sessions with students and develop a plan that will lead to the student’s desired postsecondary option while also offering academic support as needed to remain on track towards high school graduation.
Post-Secondary Planning and Support
- Support a caseload of 20-40 students to ensure each is working towards setting and completing goals towards their post-secondary exploration and planning
- Provide engaging small group workshops and 1:1 sessions to improve students’ knowledge of post-secondary options and requirements; topics included but not limited to: the college application process, the local workforce, financial aid, careers in STEM, introduction and implementation to an entrepreneurship lifestyle and work, etc.)
- Maintain student information and records by tracking program outputs and outcomes into a database
- Recruit students to attend field trips and events related to local worksites and employers, colleges in and out of state, and other relevant post-secondary enrichment opportunities
- Provide 1:1/small group academic and homework support sessions for students under direction and guidance of teachers
- Members will coach students around short and long-term academic goals by reviewing alongside students’ transcripts and report cards
- Work closely with partner teacher(s) and other school staff to identify the right supports for individual students
- Communication and collaboration with students’ caregivers to encourage a collaborative and supportive post-secondary planning process inclusive of the student’s family
- Participation in professional development (included but not limited to pre-service orientation, training delivered by the school district, external and internal partners both in-person and virtually)
- Attend school meetings or activities as required for student support
- Complete 1200 or 675 hours dependent upon term enrolled in (full or part-time)
- Maintain a commitment to understanding the Promise Corps program model, and current educational best practices
- Be at least 17 years of age and possess US Citizenship or Permanent Resident status
- Have a college degree or entering senior semester
- Provide proof of Covid-19 vaccination before August 1, 2022
- Clear a National Criminal History Check, Pennsylvania Criminal History Check, Criminal History Check in your current state of residence (if different than Pennsylvania), and National Sex Offender Registry check (paid for by the program once accepted)
- Served less than 4 terms of any length in another AmeriCorps State or National Program
- Commit to serving a consistent schedule in school a minimum of:
- 35 hours per week ($409 weekly stipend)
- 21 hours per week ($272 weekly stipend)
- All coaches will commit to a set schedule on-site at their host school site.
- Full-time coaches will serve 7:30 am – 3:00 pm Monday-Friday.
- Part-time coaches will serve 3 days per week 7:30 am – 2:30 pm or an alternative schedule that equals 21 hours per week as scheduled with their supervisor and based on school needs.
Additional evening and weekend hours may occur to accommodate national days of service and external field trips.
All terms begin in August 2022 and end in June 2023.
Please click on the following link for the AmeriCorps Member application: PROMISE CORPS APPLICATION